Monday, March 27, 2006

blue

Ever since my daughter moved to her new classroom, the giraffes, she's been more and more definitive of boy things vs girl things. Personally, this bother me to no end. It's bad enough she goes coo-coo for Princess (joking - kinda) but to actually think that she shouldn't or couldn't play with something or do something or act a particular way because that would be like a "boy" just isn't acceptable to me.

It's amazing how young peer influence begins. I noticed it when she turned 2 but now that she's in this new older room (all the kids are between 4 1/2 and 5 years old - except her), I really see how her peers' views are affecting hers.

They actually tell her she can't play with certain toys or that her mommy's favorite color can't be blue. She even came home telling about how some of the boys teased another little boy for putting on dress from the costume box and that the teacher laughed and told him that dresses are for girls, not boys. (I spoke to the teacher and the Director about that one.) Six months ago, she never would have paid attention to what other kids thought of her. (And frankly, six months ago, none of her friends would've said things like this. I guess a lot changes between 3 1/2 and 4 1/2.)

My Mama Says Om "Blue" is the rebellion against Blue being for Boys. My favorite color is blue, my daughter loves Spiderman and my son (if I ever have one) will be able to paint his fingernails pink, put on a dress and dance the hula if that's what makes him happy.