Sunday, April 03, 2005

missing in action

wow - it's been quite some time since i last posted. if there's one thing i've learned in blogger-land, it's to never ever for any reason write about work. so, i'm going to write about work. what can i say, i'm a glutton for punishment.

usually, i'm bored out of my mind at work. the person who had my exact position before me is a friend of mine and so i know for a fact that she did her one morning report and then surfed the internet for the remaining 7 hours and 45 minutes of her day, leaving everyday for an hour for lunch.

i knew when i was hired that my boss wanted someone who would search work out instead of waiting for it to come to her. i've always done that so it's a perfect fit. my boss is also the opposite of a micro manager which works well for me, too because i don't like someone on my back.

anyway, i've taken on any and all possible amounts of work within my department from every single other person i work with. the work is now much more spread out between us and there are weeks when i have to work non-stop to finally clear my inbox.

that being said, there are just as many weeks where i'm spending 4 hours on the internet and taking an hour for lunch because there just isn't anything left to do. (just to ease your mind, my boss and i share an office and my boss faces my back and so literally knows every moment that i'm on the net. my boss also knows i blog at work and i helped my boss create a blog for my boss' kids - yes, i know that sentence sucked but i'm trying to leave gender out of it.)

so, now, i've begun looking to other departments for more work. (like i said, i'm a gluten for punishment.) for the past month or so, i've been working for 4 departments - that's 4 bosses, people, one of whom is a micro-manager.

with this, i know will not come a raise. that's not how my company is. you'll never be told to do more, so if you seek it out on your own you will absolutely not be paid for it.

but, the light at the end of this tunnel is this - one of the 4 bosses sees my potential and is spreading my name throughout my little job world and working diligently to promote me so i can work only for this boss.

wish me luck.

and this is all to explain where i've been for the last 10 days.